We would like to use cookies to store information on your computer, to improve our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site, but parts of the site will not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy notice. For privacy information for individuals within the European Union, see the SUNY GDPR privacy notice.
I accept cookies from this site.

Transfer Students

  • Transferring to or from ECC

    Whether you are planning to "Start Here" at ECC or "Go Anywhere," our transfer counselors can help you create an educational plan by discussing transfer requirements, assisting with your college search, or researching fields of interest. ECC offers various articulation agreements and dual admission opportunities with four-year schools. Additionally, under the SUNY transfer guarantee program, all New York residents who transfer directly from a SUNY community college with an A.A. or A.S. degree are guaranteed an opportunity to continue full-time study at a SUNY four-year campus. While this guarantee does not assure admissions into every major, it does provide you with an opportunity to continue your education at a SUNY four-year institution.

  • There are three ways students can transfer credits to ECC. They are:

    Credit from Another College

    Submit an official transcript from all colleges previously attended to the admissions office. Once admissions has received your transcripts and you have received an acceptance letter from ECC, ask an adviser from the major you’ve been accepted to for ‘an evaluation of transfer credit.’

    Please Note:

    • Course credits can be transferred, not course grades.
    • A minimum grade of C- is needed in order to transfer credit.
    • Certain courses may be ‘time sensitive’ and may not transfer if they are deemed ‘too old.’
    • Completing a minimum of 30 credits at ECC is typically required in order to earn an associate’s degree.
    Credit from High School

    College credit can be earned while attending high school in several ways. 

    • Course credit can be transferred to a college while attending high school by earning a minimum grade of C- for a college course taken within the high school or taken at a satellite location.
    • Credit is also earned by scoring a minimum grade of 3 on a high school AP exam (AP credit).
    • Through our high school agreements, courses can be taken in high school which will transfer as credit to ECC. For a listing of our agreements, please visit High School Agreements.

    Reverse Transfer

    If you transferred to a four-year college before graduating from ECC, you can still earn your associate degree through Reverse Transfer. Reverse Transfer is a process where academic credits for course work completed at a four-year university are transferred back to your community college to satisfy associate degree requirements.

    Course Evaluation Matrix - The Course Evaluation Matrix is an unofficial evaluation tool intended as a guide for prospective transfer students. The matrix lists equivalencies for courses previously transferred to ECC. Courses not listed are those that have not yet been evaluated.

    There are three ways an ECC student can transfer to a four-year college. In each case, a student is required to apply and have an official ECC transcript sent to the college they are transferring to.

    Major to Major Agreements

    This is an agreement between a specific major at ECC and a specific major at a four-year college. This type of agreement informs students that a major completed at ECC is an appropriate match for the major a student intends on transferring into at the four-year college. (example: an associate’s degree in math at ECC will count as the first two years of a statistics degree at another college).

    Dual Admission Agreements

    This is a special type of major to major articulation agreement for a "first time" college students who have completed 30 credits or less at the time of their request for dual admission. Dual admission agreements insure a smooth transfer upon graduation between ECC and selected four-year colleges and universities.

    Course to Course Agreements

    This is an agreement between a particular academic department at ECC and a particular academic department at a four-year college. Both departments have agreed that a certain course taken at ECC will transfer as an equivalent match for a course at the four-year college. (example: Biology 107 taken at ECC will count for Biology 110 at another college).

  • Transfer Services

    Our transfer counselors are here to provide you with a variety of services to meet your needs.

    • College Search Assistance – Not sure about what college to transfer to? Our counselors can help you to locate a college that is the best fit for you!
    • Counselor in Residence Days - Students who currently attend ECC are given an on campus opportunity to meet one-on-one with a four-year college representative to ask questions about their transfer plans. Please contact the Student Support Center at your home campus for a list of participating colleges and visitation dates.
    • Informal Transfer Credit Evaluations - Current ECC students and those who have yet to apply to ECC can schedule an appointment for an evaluation of their transcript to discuss what courses will typically transfer to a four-year college or what courses typically transfer into ECC.
    • Transfer Application Assistance – Have a concern about a particular question listed on a transfer application? Call or email us for help!
    • Transfer Application Fee Waiver – Students graduating from ECC who transfer to a four-year SUNY school can receive a transfer fee waiver. Fee waivers may be granted when applying to a four-year private institution on occasion as well.
    • Transfer Counseling – Not sure about what major to declare prior to transferring to a four-year college or university? We can help you decide based on your areas of interest, academic record and overall career objectives.
    • Tri-Campus Transfer Fair – Each fall and spring semester, ECC students can attend the college transfer fair which provides an opportunity to shop around and learn more about four-year colleges and universities throughout New York State and elsewhere.

  • Need Help?

    Counseling Centers

    City Campus
    Oak Street, Room 102
    P: (716) 851-1188
    North Campus
    Building S, Room 213
    P: (716) 851-1488
    South Campus
    Building 5, Room 5200
    P: (716) 851-1688